Friday, May 2, 2014

Communication City: What Does Art Say About Our Culture?


This past winter term I was enrolled in Intercultural Communication; a course that shared much about communicating within the American culture, but also communicating cross culturally as well. Overall, I was able to learn things about communication and different cultures that I would never know if it weren't for Intercultural Communication. Not only did this class teach me things I can apply to my every day life, but it was also possibly one of the most interesting classes I have taken at North Central thus far. With that being said, I wanted to dedicate this particular blog post to focusing on a specific lecture from this communications course.

About half way through Intercultural Communications, we started discussing the topic of art and how it relates to particular cultures. We focused on the different types of arts in a variety of cultures and we looked at what these photographs, sculptures, and paintings shared about the culture to the outside world. It was argued that one way an American could grasp and learn the values and beliefs of the Nepali culture was by simply looking at a portrait or painting done by an prominent artist, and vise versa.This notion brings me to my main point.

The pictures below are sections from digital art called Communication City, by the artist group eBoy. Carefully observe the pictures, zoom in on particular parts, and perhaps Google the full picture. Then, ask yourself, "What does this piece of art say about the American culture"?








No comments:

Post a Comment